Articles » Microsoft Outlook How to leave email messages on your email server
Whenever you receive an email the data will be sent to your email server. This email server may be a free service such as Hotmail, Yahoo or AOL or a private email service from a hosting account such as Fasthosts, 1and1 or Heart Internet.
Inicialy the email data will be sent and saved onto your email server, from there one of three things will happen:
- Outlook connects to your email server and you will be able to view your email messages. The email data remains on the server.
- Outlook connects to your email server and downloads a copy of the email data to your computer. This will be saved to your P.C in a .pst file.
- Outlook connects to your email server and downloads the email data and then removes it from your email server. The file will be saved to your P.C in a .pst file.
Each method has its own advantage. Leaving the email data on the server allows it to be read from multiple P.C's and locations, great if you need to access your work emails from home. Saving the email data to your P.C allows it be be viewed when you are not connected to the internet and saving the email data and removing it from your email server will free up space on your email server if you have limited space.
To set up Outlook to remove email data from your email server you will first need to determine what method or protocol your account uses. The most common is POP3.
To set up a POP3 account to remove email data:
- On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts.
- Click View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next.
- Select your email account, and then click Change.
- Click More Settings.
- Now click the Advanced tab, and under Delivery, select the Leave a copy of messages on the server check box.
- Select one of the following options:
- Remove from server after x days
E-mail messages are downloaded to your computer but remain on the e-mail server for the number of days that you specify. This is the most common setting for people who want to read their messages at work but also download them for permanent storage on their home computer. We recommend that you choose the smallest number of days that suits your needs. The longer you leave messages on your e-mail server, the greater the risk of exceeding your mailbox size quota.
- Remove from server when deleted from 'Deleted Items'
E-mail messages are downloaded to your computer but also remain on the e-mail server indefinitely until you delete the e-mail message in Outlook and empty the Deleted Items folder. Just deleting the message doesn't remove the message from the e-mail server.